Monday, September 19, 2005

paints, canvas, brushes do not make a painting

I am the plumber of the Ark. My focus is on making it work and making it usable. So my vision of the Ark is one of how the various parts need to work together. The best I've been able to come up with to describe what the Ark is intended to become is a platform for configurable services:

http://www.compstrm.org/wiki/uuid/v5Via5fQX6qr5qpkxcZ5DrYs

Norm's perspective is considerably different. He knows what he wants to be able to do, and the Ark is a tool that might just make it easier for him to work. With every capability that I add to the ark, he has usage patterns and practices which have been waiting for it.

So I speak of a platform for configurable services, while Norm speaks of a collection of interrelated services which enable usage patterns quite different from how we normally expect to be interacting with a computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home