Thursday, May 26, 2005

Why can't I arrange the folders?

References to Pages and LedgerEntries are kept in lists, so they can be ordered by the user.

Lists are implemented as documents, with supplimental indexes. This means that every time there is a new entry, an old entry is removed, or an order change, an entirely new document is added to the database.

So lists, if they are long and frequently updated, can eat a lot of disk space. My thought was that a drawer is often updated and would frequently contain a lot of folders. Of course, there is the added (minor?) complication that if we change it now, we also break beta.

I'll admidt that there aren't too many areas where I worry about disk space. Mostly I trade disk space for fast access. But in this case, it seemed best to avoid such an excessive use of disk capacity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home