Thursday, March 31, 2005

More on Rolonics

First, I'd like to point out that Norm's blog, which should be covering more on Rolonics, can be found at: http://ontologist.blogspot.com

Now what I want to do here is cover some of the rolonic terminology and its relationship to the CompStrm implementation.

At the top-level we have the Ark, which is a knowledge repository and a whole lot more. (And a whole lot more applies to everything rolonic, so I'll drop that at this point.) This would roughly corrispond to a TKCS database and an executing CompStrm web server.

Within the Ark you find Roles. Roles are organized into Realms, but a Realm is also a Role. In CompStrm, we've got DataSets which are used to organize WellKnowns, a DataSet also being a WellKnown. And that's really as far as I've gotten.

I have talked about WellKnowns holding lists of secondary WellKnowns. In Rolonics, a Role has a list (possibly empty) of Ledgers, where a Ledger may also have a list of subordinate ledgers.

The area where CompStrm is weakest is the Roles, which means my DataSets are also quite weak. A Role has four Units: Classifier, Descriptor, Ledger and Journal.

A WellKnown does have an associated page, which would be the equivalent of a Ledger Entry. But a Ledger Unit can have both Ledger Entries and Ledger Sections. (Ledger Sections are lists of other Ledger Sections and Ledger Entries; Ledger Entries being the leaves of the Ledger Unit tree.)

A WellKnown also has a Journal--something I'm nearly finished with. But within the Journal Unit, you can have both Journal Entries and Journal Sections. All I have for now are Journal Entries in a WellKnown's Journal.

Classifiers are not yet addressed very well in CompStrm, except that WellKnown names are classifiers. Classifiers deal with the relationships between Roles.

Descriptors I don't have yet, but I will soon. Descriptors describe the parts of a Role (i.e. the Ledger) as well as behavior. OK, since a DataSet differs from other WellKnowns based on its Type, I do have a little bit of descriptor data. I'll have more when I extend the type data to include user commands, instead of having the commands implemented in the web command interpreter.

That's a quick overview in the rough--more later. I'll admidt quickly that my knowledge of Rolonics is pretty shallow, though I've gotten better at implementing aspects of it over the last few years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home