Sunday, December 18, 2005

nested progress

With frames in place in the basic interface, I've got a good setup for experimenting with recursive nesting. And I've learned a few things...

One thing I've learned is that duplicate frame names don't cut it--target always goes to the first named frame. And the rule of thumb seems to be, if the browser can't resolve the target, it just opens a new window.

Another thing I've learned is to use _parent as the base target for the nested group. A target of _self gets you the same frame, while a target of _top is the outermost frame.

Finally, the browser back button tends to get confused. It doesn't always remember that an entire group got canged and often just updates the current frame. :-( Conclusion: avoid the back button. (I did have some thoughts about providing my own mechanism some time back, guess I'll be thinking more about them now.)

Otherwise things seem to work as expected. Now I just need to make it work. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home