Saturday, December 17, 2005

basic frames

I don't want the guest interface to use frames--its nice and simple and indexes quite well. I do want to add titles, either from a title tag or using the WikiName in the abscence of a tile tag. That should help the indexing a bunch. I also don't want to mess with the advanced interface.

On the other hand, the basic interface is just perfect for frames. The result is pretty nice too. I only made a minor change to the server and it works without impacting the other interfaces.

But more work is needed. The main problem is that because of the heavy use of the session object, I can't seem to handle two requests on the same session at the same time. But it shouldn't be too hard to serialize them.

A lessor problem is that the server does a lot of redundent processing when handling a framed interface. But I can fix that later.

Adding frames to the basic interface is a nice improvement, but it also gives me an easy way to handle partial-window updates and, much more interesting, recursive nesting. With recursive nesting, I should be able to support a browse capability when doing a move or copy.

So it looks like I'm moving away from AJAX-like capabilities and using frames instead. Frames seem to be the best fit for this. I can always use AJAX techniques later for an integrated chat capability--that could be nice!

Baring any additional problems then, I should have a release this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home