Tuesday, September 06, 2005

new schedule, code review

Yesterday I briefly spec'ed out a number of major versions: v2--DescriptorUnits, v3--Journals and v4--access control. Each of these will involve a conversion.

I've also streached out the schedule. Part of the problem is that I'll be spending a week in October in California, plus travel time from India, and I don't expect to be writing any code at that time. I also want to allow time for the maturing of each of these versions, as v3 and v4 in particular have very brief and incomplete descriptions of the work to be done.

As much as possible, I want to move major features to V3 or V4, as each of the conversions will open up important capabilities. So, for example, email filters (2.3) will likely be delayed unless there is an immediate pressing need.

This morning I took the opportunity to review the code for post, dump and load. This is all working code and it looks good, if somewhat obscure. While doing the code review, I've worked out how to snap the current state of an Ark out to a .dmp file. This will be pretty straight forward, and without the need to make any changes to load/restore. So I expect the development of 1.7 to be complete very soon now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home