Saturday, August 27, 2005

What is the utility? How is the user impacted?

I'm doing a lot of thinking about descriptors.

There is pleanty to do, fer sure! Lots of code I could be writing. But I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction. I'm getting into a new area here and I need to be able to determine when things are right and when they are just wrong.

OK, so I already did a LOT of descriptor work at the TKCS level. But there was no GUI--it was a pure command-line interface.

In the Ark, there is some variation, but there's only the Ark, Cabinets, Folders, etc. and they all work roughly the same way. Now we introduce type. How do I, as a user, gain an appreciation of the differences between different types of Pages?

The least change would be errors. I set a header, and I'm told that I can not use that header name, or that the value is incorrect. The other extreme is to choose from a menu of activities, then a menue of options and menues of values.

The right solution might be to allow the user to move from one extreme to the other, depending on how familiar a user was with a particular type or activity.

Hmm. Lets focus on one critical part--selecting or specifying an activity. A knowledgable user would just type the command name. On the other end? Perhaps a many-layered menu? And again, how do we drive out to the user the unique aspects of the current Topic? Perhaps when displaying a Topic of a given type, we can give a link to a help page for that type of Topic. (Having a type-specific documentation link on a Topic display sounds like a good idea to me.)

OK, lets look at creation of a LEnt. An LSec might allow only a single type, or a limited set of types of LEnts. Each type of LEnt would then have various required and optional headers, valid value ranges, etc. This seems quite reasonable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home