Saturday, April 23, 2005

What's wrong with Destroy!

A comment is attached to only one thing. Likewise a ledger. But a page may be a sub-topic under more than one other page. So there are no side-effects when I destroy a comment or a ledger.

But consider a situation where in my ark, the page Swimming is under Exercise, but in your ark the same page is under both Exercise and FunActivities.

Now if I destroy Swimming and share my updates for Exercise, then on your ark Swimming is destroyed--so it is no longer under FunActivities. Oops! this may not be a good thing.

Alternatively, supose I just remove Swimming from Exercise and let Swimming be garbage collected. Ater sharing, you still have swimming under FunActivities.

The reverse is interesting too. Lets say you remove Swimming from Exercise, share the updates, then reinstate Swimming under Exercise and share the updates a second time.

Now Swimming gets garbage collected on my system after the first update and I'm not sure at all about what happens when the second update is received. Maybe Swimming should not have been garbage collected?

I like the implicit destruction of a page when it is not under any other page. Otherwise I have zombies which get included in queries.

Perhaps I need a tks-level mechanism for reinstatement. ;-(

Anyway, sharing isn't in CompStrm-1 any more. I've obviously got a lot of issues to deal with here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home