Monday, June 09, 2008

a 2-pronged approach

Made some good progress on the object model for COWDB2, but still there is a long way to go.

I also started working on migrating the COODBMS server code over to COWDB2. One very fine thing here is that we will have only one object model, rather than the 2 in COWDB, as the new object model supports both persistent and non-persistent elements. And that removes a major learning hurdle.

Now as I'm spreading myself so thin, progress now will slow even more. But while I'm trying to write nice clear code for the new object model, the framework is being ported "as is." So it will go a bit more quickly. But once I get a bit further I'll start testing with the "old" Browse program. So again things will slow. But that's all fine, so long as COWDB2 comes out of the development process in a form that is easier to understand.

As the (past) Director of Engineering at Fiorano, I was always saying that working code is simply not good enough. So I've talked the talk and now I'm walking the walk. But I am also hopeful that the new object model will be interesting in its own right. I must admit, I've not done much with aggregation before. But then I've never had to deal with anything quite so flexible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home