Wednesday, September 06, 2006

semantic relationships and time

Norm always says that we can change our perception of the past, and of the future. I believe this has a lot to do with semantic relationships.

I was an employee of OSF. That relationship has a specific start and end date. The relationship still exists--as an ex-employee, I am a member of the OSF Alumni group. So I am thinking that creating a CSec which defines a semantic relationship may not occur on the date the relationship started. Indeed, the entry may even be made after the end date of the relationship, as I enter information from my resume.

Now as I navigate time in AW, the CSecs as they were for those past times will change. So time then has more than one axis. There is the time of entry/correction/update as well as the effective period of the relationship. Norm calls this 2-time.

So lets then look a bit closer at a triple CSec. It would have the following:
1. the parent to which the relationship applies. (noun)
2. the rolon that the parent has the relationship with. (object).
3. the rolon defining the kind of relationship.
4. the starting time of the relationship (creation time of the CSec, by default).
5. the ending time of the relationship (indefinite by default).

Sound like fun? I think this is the beginning of the next set of work on AW. AW then is moving from ontology to semantics, at least in a small way. And I'm thinking that we can build some nice applications with this.

Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home