Saturday, March 04, 2006

New terminology

The terminology I've been using has been slowly changing. Its differs somewhat from Norm's terminology and also from the terminology of AW2. I should hit the highlights.

First, Entries are always name/value pairs. (But the converse is not true. Not all name/value pairs are entries.) There are classifier entries, descriptor entries and ledger entries. Now not all classifiers are entries. Tags are classifiers but they are not classifier entries. (Tags are indexed, but entries are not.)

Next, there are the LedgerSections (LSecs) and JournalSections (JSecs). And what I previously called a transaction is now called a JSec. LSecs and JSecs can have LSecs, Remarks and documents as part of their state. And like all roles, LSecs and JSecs have a journal of JSecs. (Its strange to think of a JSec changing over time, but it can. For example, you can update the tags on a JSec.)

I've had a busy day. Mostly odds and ends. The weekly grocery shopping, a dental visit, some new AW3 commands and a lot of cleanup, like changing the Tran usage to JSec.

Bill

1 Comments:

At Sun Mar 05, 03:02:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger NoKas said...

Your terminology seems to be re-converging with rolonic terminology. I still have the rolonic taxonomy we enumerated when last you were here on the wall in front of my stand-up desk.

I'm glad to see the return of jsecs in their fuller more proto-rolonic form.

I do remember the famous jent (entry) vs. jsec (section) debates.

Tags are really csecs.

;-norm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home