Sunday, February 24, 2008

common object, drm

The new CommonObject is a bit strange, but I've been working with the code and I really like it. At the highest level, you are just working with common objects and handles. And you can do a whole lot with just that. There are times when you need some additional capabilities, and only then do you need to do any casting.

One concern I've had is that it may be difficult figuring out why when you call a method in one place it works (COODBMS) and in another palace (CowDb code) it doesn't. So I've now updated all those UnsupportedOperationExceptions in CommonObject to report the name of the class which is not supporting the operation. Then you can access the class and see what is actually supported. Another thing I'll do is to leave the javadocs for ICommonObject untouched and modify the method javadocs in CommonObject with a description of unsupported. Then you can access the method from a particular class in the javadoc and it will either describe the method or say that it is unsupported. Should help some.

I've also started work on the DRM/ElementModel and it really needs to be flushed out. I've changed a few of the method names to match CommonObject where the method is equivalent. Next I plan on modifing the remaining methods to work like the methods on CommonObject. But really there are a lot of methods that just need to be added. For one thing, the HandleModel class isn't even written yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home