Friday, November 30, 2007

API changes!

The 0.7 release of cowdb went out on 28 November: 4 downloads to date. I was calling it a beta release, but it looks now like it was more of an alpha release. I'm working on the threading model and find I'm making a lot of changes to the user-level API.

When working on the API previously, I gave very little thought to multi-threading. I'm now moving to a thread-safe DbProcessor class and a thread-safe BranchProcessor class. Each DbProcessor will be unique to a db file and similarly, BranchProcessor objects will be unique to a branch. Selecting a branch will now be a matter of calling getBranchProcessor on the DbProcessor object. Overall, I think the new API will be a lot more developer-friendly. And release 0.8 will definitely be a beta release.

Now what is going to take time, I suspect, will be developing the tests for multi-threading. That, and perhaps a bit of debugging.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home