Friday, July 14, 2006

priorities

It was a good day today. I got to demonstrate AW to a coworker, with content he had provided. The weak point is that I'll need tag classifiers to do some of the things he is asking for. And I had been thinking of putting off classifiers until after 3.2. Hmm. I guess I could do just tag classifiers for 3.2, eh?

Now there's about 18 developers (counting Norm and myself) on the team page, a few more anonymous observers on the project and over 30 in the mailing list. But contributions are slow. Is it a lack of documentation? The difficulty of dealing with a substantial change in world view? An insufficient value proposition? Lack of functionality in the current release?

I know slides will help, it always does. Right now my #1 priority is documentation on applications. And then I need some row commands--had to add a row to the Users LSec today and I tell you, it is not a process I would want to document! So some slides should fit somewhere in the top 3. And now I want tag classifiers. It is always too much.

My hope is that I can build up enough documentation/slides/functionality that it will be enough to encourage some developers to really dig in and get in a position where they can help. It is good to know that so many folk are interested, I just need to bring things to the point where the participation is less sporatic.

Well as long as I seem to be heading in the right direction, I don't mind putting in the time and the effort. I just wish folk would ask more questions--it really helps with the writing.

Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home